The Netherlands School for Advanced Studies in Theology and Religion (NOSTER) is the main platform for research and training in the fields of theology and religious studies in the Netherlands and Flanders. Twelve research institutes in these fields have joined forces and provide a national research context and training programme for about 150 senior researchers, 100 PhD candidates and 50 ReMA students.
NOSTER offers a cutting-edge and challenging curriculum in theology and religious studies for junior researchers (ReMA students and PhD candidates), building upon and complementing what the graduate schools of their home institutions have on offer. The programme has three major objectives:
A) Advanced understanding: providing further training in the skills and techniques of the sub-disciplines in which participants usually operate;
B) Broadening your horizon: familiarising junior researchers with various forms of research and research methodology, offering a wide variety of perspectives from both theology and religious studies;
C) Community building: contributing to the formation of a national academic community in the field of theology and religious studies by stimulating interaction and exchange between junior and senior researchers, sensitising them to innovative disciplinary and interdisciplinary developments and developing theoretical and methodological alternatives.
In addition, NOSTER stimulates new initiatives and explorations in research and provides a national platform for fostering communication between the participating institutes with a view to engaging in short- and long-term research collaboration.
The following institutions participate in NOSTER:
- Evangelical Theological Faculty, Leuven, BE
- Leiden University Centre for the Study of Religion (LUCSoR)
- Protestant Theological University, Amsterdam/Groningen
- Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies, Radboud University, Nijmegen
- Theological University of the Christian Reformed Churches, Apeldoorn
- Theological University of the Reformed Churches (liberated), Kampen
- Tilburg School of Humanities and Digital Sciences & Tilburg School of Catholic Theology, Tilburg University
- Faculty of Humanities, University of Amsterdam
- Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies, University of Groningen
- University of Humanistic Studies, Utrecht
- Faculty of Humanities, Utrecht University
- Faculty of Religion and Theology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Vegetarian Default Policy
NOSTER is proud to support #DefaultVeg. All our meetings and events ensure that catering is vegetarian by default. This action saves not only the lives of farmed animals but also significantly reduces the amount of greenhouse gases emitted by NOSTER’s activities throughout a year. For further information, please see DefaultVeg and CreatureKind